Tuesday, March 31, 2009

2 Poems by Martin Avery


From La Biche, Haiti, March 2009:

IN THE MARKET

I've seen them ask,
Reaching a hand to mouth,
"Menge?"

I've seen them ask,
Bellies taut and empty,
"Menge?"

Calling to me, "Blanc!"
     "Blanc!" - seperation
     "Blanc!" - distance
     "Blanc!" - cash soul!

          -Blank,
Blank and empty.

And I feel no longer empty
When a spirit tap pours
And
I'm filling while opening
And
The sky opens
Fingers touched.




ENERGY

Whispering waves of gloom

Daily wading in plenty

Grinding,

Same,

Grinding.

 

Port Au Prince

Filled with sparks.

Feel it

And smell the smoke

 

She’s walking in grace

With her load carried

On her head.

 

Pushing down,

The North sits on her head

And she walks in Grace.

 

Everything crumbling,

The door opens,

Mususa smiles,

Welcome to Haiti.


Martin Avery is a poet and humanitarian from Redfield, South Dakota. He may be reached by writing to mavery1219@hotmail.com

No comments: